Alexsander S. Bogolyubov
1990 — Ph.D., Russian Academy of Sciences — Ecology Science, Ornithology
1983 — Moscow State Pedagogical University — Geography and Biology Teacher
1978 — Moscow English language school #19 — Secondary Education
The Animal Evolutionary Morphology and Ecology Institute, from the USSR Academy of
Laboratory engineer, scientist — 1983-1989
Fundamental research in birds communities structure, geographical differences in communities structure. The subject of scientific research — «Communities structure and ecological niches of the passerine birds within the forest zone of the European part of the USSR»
The Institute of the Nature Protection and Reserves, from the USSR Ministry of
Nature Protection and Environment, Moscow
Scientist — 1989-1990
Administrative work in the department of National Parks and Nature Preserves.
The Central Young Naturalists Station, from the Ministry of Education of the
Deputy Director in Science and Methodology — 1990-1997
Arranging the system of All-Russian Contests of Scientific-research student's works and field camps in different subjects — ornithology, water ecology, botany. During 1990-1994 there were carried out more than 12 All-Russian Camps and 3 International Youth Ornithological Camps (USSR/Russia — USA — UK).
Last four years — creating of a new educational form in additional (out-of-school) education system — «Ecological correspondence school» (School of Distance Education).
public non-governmental organization, Moscow
President — August 1993 — present
Association «Ecosystem» unite about 2,300 local organizations (Young naturalists and Young tourists Centers, schools and public environmental groups) including approximately 78,000 of teachers and students (10-16 years old) throughout the Russian Federation and former USSR states.
The main idea of Ecosystem's work is providing environmental programs and resource materials for students and teachers in field studies and scientific investigations. According to this goal Ecosystem produces and publishes its own resource materials — «Methods of scientific research in nature» series, resource books, methodical videos and manuals for teachers, computer and printed field identification guides and so on (see below in publications section); collects and spreads information about new developments in environmental formal and non-formal education, about the methods of field studies, research and practical environmental projects for children, new technologies in education. Also Ecosystem trains teachers, carrying out conferences, seminars, training courses — both for formal and non formal sectors, both out-of-school and within the school system, with the aim of involving them into the field environmental investigation and scientific research with children.
Moscow Field Studies Center (MFSC) administration
Since 1994 Ecosystem Association runs Moscow Field Studies Center (MFSC) which situated in the Moscow region (15 km from Moscow city). The main goal of this Center's work — to organize field environmental education (EE) for Moscow school-children 11-16 years old. According to this goal MFSC carry out field ecological practices (for 2-5 days each) to show city students the real Nature «from inside» and to teach them to investigate their environment independently and creatively. Also since 1993 as a part of All-Russian EE network coordination MFSC carry out All-Russian conferences for teachers and environmental camps for students (totally about 50 last 5 years).
1997-2006: cooperation with Montana State University, College of Education,
Health and Human Development, Department of Education (Bozeman, Montana, USA) —
co-arranging the International Distance Courses for teachers “Ecological Field
Techniques”. There are 3-4 graduate and postgraduate (in different semesters) seasonal
courses, every year from 1999.
1993-2006 cooperation with Field Studies Council (UK) — arranging and leading of 12 educational ecology trips of Russian participants (school-students and school teachers) to different FSC Field Centres.
Environmental Science Education
Since 1980 till present time work as a leading teacher of Environmental Science at the Darwin museum Youth Biological Club. The main subject of this work — organizing of scientific-research work of the Club students (20-30 students of 10-17 years old every year) as a form of environmental education. The main subjects of this work — ornithology and animal communities ecology.
EE Resource materials
Since 1985 till present time work over resource materials for teachers and students, interested in wildlife and scientific-research work in nature. The main aim of this work — the adaptation of real scientific methods of field research to the aims of environmental education of children, writing the methodological brochures, publishing and spreading them over the Russian Federation.
In this aim in 1996-1998 there were written and published 40 separate brochures, including different approaches and methods of student's scientific work in nature (see the list of publications below).
Since 1995 Ecosystem provides Russian EE teachers by field guides of different nature objects — beginning from the rocks and minerals and finishing by lichens and moss. The most part of these materials going from the Natural History Book Service (UK) and Russian publishers.
1. Bogolyubov A.S., Preobrashenskaya E.S. The wintering birds population of the Moscow area per different years. — Theses of the reports of the 2 conference of the young scientists, Moscow, 1979.
2. Bogolyubov A.S., Preobrashenskaya E.S. Youth and birds monitoring issues of Moscow and suburban zone. — Youth and ecology of Moscow. The conference, Theses of the reports, Moscow, 1986, 46-48.
3. Bogolyubov A.S. Structure and ecological niches of chickadees flocks in the Moscow region forests. — Zoological journal, 1986, 65, ¹ 11, 1664-1674.
4. Bogolyubov A.S., Preobrashenskaya E.S. Ecological niches dynamics of the cheekiness flocks bird species. — Use and protection of flora and fauna of the USSR. Zoology and botany. Moscow, 1987, 89-91.
5. Bogolyubov A.S., Preobrashenskaya E.S. Winter space micro- and macro habitats segregation of passerine birds . — Ecology, 1987, ¹ 3, 53-57.
6. Bogolyubov A.S. Dependence of niches structure and birds communities diversity on the feed surface square in the forest habitats. — Ecology, 1988, ¹ 5, 57-61.
7. Bogolyubov A.S., Preobrashenskaya E.S. The winter survey and ecological researches of forest birds at the European part of USSR. — All-Union conference on the problems of survey of animals, Ufa, 1989, 216-217.
8. Gubin A.G., Preobrashenskaya E.S., Bogolyubov A.S., Vassioukova O.V. Geographical variability of the winter bird populations of a forest zone at the European part of the USSR. All-Union conference on the problems of survey of animals, Ufa, 1989, 69-70.
9. Lazareva N.S., Preobrashenskaya E.S., Bogolyubov A.S. Geographical variability of structures and niches arranging of the chickadees flocks bird species in winter. — Ecology, 1988, ¹ 4, 34-38.
10. Communities structure and ecological niches of the passerine birds throughout the forest zone of the European part of the USSR — Dissertation work, The Animal Evolutionary Morphology and Ecology Institute, from the USSR Academy of Sciences, Moscow, 1989.
11. Bogolyubov A.S. Structure of communities and subroutine linkage of ecological niches of bird species which are included in chickadees flocks. Ecological ordination and communities. Moscow: Science, 1990.
Environmental education articles
1. Bogolyubov A.S. Research projects — one of the perspective forms of out-of-school education work with children. The ecological bulletin of Chuvashiya. Cheboksari, 1995. — with. 23-25.
2. Bogolyubov A.S. Field ecology: its place and the role in out-of-school (additional) ecological education of children / Additional education (Monthly informational — methodical magazine on additional derivation), ¹ 1, 1996 — with. 25-28.
3. Bogolyubov A.S. Association Ecosystem and it activity in the field of nature education. Biology (application to the newspaper «The first of September »), Moscow, 1996, ¹ 15.
4. Bogolyubov A.S. Field ecological education — one of the forms of out-of-school environmental education of the schoolchildren. Nontraditional approaches in ecological derivation of the schoolchildren, Puschino, 1996.
5. Bogolyubov A.S. Field ecology: its role and place in ecological education of children. The bulletin of ecological derivation, Moscow, 1997.
6. Lazareva N.S., Bogolyubov A.S. Methodical manuals and materials on the ecological education of children: the directory of resources on practical questions of ecological education. Moscow: Ecosystem, 1996. — 73.
Computer and Printed Color Identification Guides
During 2002-2004 we have published 4 computer guides, helping students and teachers to
recognize different nature objects that can be taken from nature to the class. We are
planning a series of 15 computer guides, and first are the following:
1. Computer Guide to the Winter Trees and Shrubs of the European part of Russia (identification software, illustrations and descriptions of 88 species and 68 families). – Ecosystem, Moscow, 2002. CD for PC.
2. Computer Guide to Forest Pest Insects of the Middle Mixed Forest zone of Russia (identification software, illustrations and descriptions of 92 species). – Ecosystem, Moscow, 2002. CD for PC.
3. Computer Guide to the Flowers of the European part of Russia (identification software, illustrations and descriptions of 216 species and 50 families). – Ecosystem, Moscow, 2004. CD for PC.
4. Computer Guide to the Summer Trees and Shrubs of the European part of Russia (identification software, illustrations and descriptions of 92 species and 62 families). – Ecosystem, Moscow, 2004. CD for PC.
Also in 2005-2006 we have published 8 color Identification Tables “Plants of Russia”:
1. Trees of Middle Russia in Winter. Identification Table. “Ventana-Graf”, Moscow, 2005.
2. Shrubs of Middle Russia in Winter. Identification Table. “Ventana-Graf”, Moscow, 2005.
3. Flowers of Middle Russia. Forests. Identification Table. “Ventana-Graf”, Moscow, 2005.
4. Flowers of Middle Russia. Meadows and Fields. Identification Table. “Ventana-Graf”, Moscow, 2006.
5. Flowers of Middle Russia. Early Spring Flowers. Identification Table. “Ventana-Graf”, Moscow, 2006.
6. Flowers of Middle Russia. Water and Marshes Plants. Identification Table. “Ventana-Graf”, Moscow, 2006.
7. Trees of Middle Russia in Summer. Identification Table. “Ventana-Graf”, Moscow, 2006.
8. Shrubs of Middle Russia in Summer. Identification Table. “Ventana-Graf”, Moscow, 2006.
Also in cooperation with Dr. Michael Brody from Montana State University we have
Books in English
All books, written by Alexander Bogolyubov on the author page on the Amazon.com
(hyperlinks follow to the books pages on Amazon and will open in a new window)
1. Family name: Bogolyubov
2. First names: Alexsander
3. Date of birth: August 27, 1961
4. Nationality: Russian
5. Civil status: Russian citizenship
Institution [ Date from — Date to ]
Degree(s) or Diploma(s) obtained
|Moscow State Pedagogical University (Moscow), Geography and Biology Dept. – 1978-1983||Geography and Biology Teacher diploma – 1983|
|Postgraduate Education at Animal Evolutionary Morphology and Ecology Institute (USSR Academy of Sciences, Moscow) – 1986-1989||Ph.D. degree – ecology (“candidate of biological sciences”) — 1990|
7. Language skills: Indicate competence on a scale of 1 to 5 (1 — excellent; 5 — basic)
8. Membership of professional bodies: President of Eurasian Association of Youth Environmental Groups “Ecosystem”, Member of Russian Bird Conservation Union, Member of National Geographic Society, Affiliate Professor of the Montana State University, USA
9. Other skills: Fully computer literate, biology and ecology teaching
10. Present position: 1) President of Eurasian
Association of Youth Environmental Groups “Ecosystem”, 2) Director of the Moscow Field
Ecology Education Centre.
11. Years within the firm: 12 years
12. Key qualifications:
• More than 20 years experience in the field of environmental
• Experience in raising the level of environmental education in Russia and improving the current system of ecological education
• Created an international distance learning system on “Ecological Field Techniques”
13. Specific experience in the region:
|Country||Date from — Date to|
|Russian Federation||from 1983|
14. Professional experience
|1996-ongoing (2008)||Moscow, Russia||Moscow Field Ecology Education Centre “Ecosystem”||Director||I manage and mentor all the activities of this non-governmental and non-commercial educational organization that works as a “field forest station”, where school-students from the Moscow-city live for 3-4 days at a time and study nature according to our programmes and with our teachers. About 3000 Moscow school-students pass through our Centre each year (last 7 years). Also we gather and arrange All-Russian Camps for Young Ecologists of different specialisation (during 1996-2002 we have arranged 34 All-Russian Camps in the Centre with 30-50 participants each)(totally from 220 towns and cities). About 2-5 times a year we arrange workshops and pedagogical seminars for Moscow-city biology and geography teachers (20-30 participants each). My main responsibilities in the Centre include: curriculum development; planning and preparation of the classes; contacting schools and other institutions and organisations; supporting and advising teachers and other staff on their educational responsibilities; arranging and supervising field visits, activities and practices; managing finances; other duties necessary to the Centre’s operations.|
|1997-ongoing (2008)||Bozeman, Montana, USA||Montana State University, College of Education, Health and Human Development, Department of Education||Affiliate Professor||Co-organise and advise on International Distance Courses for teachers on
“Ecological Field Techniques”; educational curriculum development; creating and
organising all supporting materials, such as written manuals and videos; mentoring Russian
students and monitoring their learning progress.
I also manage the International USA-Russian teacher’s field ecology education programme and joint expeditions, including liaising with teachers from the USA and Russia and their organisations, and arranging several joint field trips, three expeditions through Russia and two international workshops at the Ecosystem Centre.
|1993-ongoing (2008)||UK||Field Studies Council (FSC)||Russian environmental groups Coordinator||My responsibilities have included planning, organising, coordinating, managing and leading 12 educational ecology trips with Russian participants (school students and teachers) to various FSC Field Centres to raise awareness of environmental issues internationally. I am responsible for the successful running of the trips; supporting the environmental teachers and organising the workload; gathering the Russian students; obtaining necessary administrative and supporting documents in Russia; guiding the groups and organising the agenda; and interpreting and translating during their stay in UK.|
|1994-2000||Moscow, Russia||Eurasian Association of Youth Environmental Groups “Ecosystem”||President||I established, managed and coordinated the work of this non-governmental, non-commercial public organization of Russian teachers, using “outdoor” education in schools and in the additional education system to raise environmental awareness, as well as to find ways to improve and harmonise environmental education in Russia. My responsibilities included: contacting and liaising with association members (3500 teachers and 72000 school-students) as well as other organisations, schools and institutions; managing the association’s programme on raising environmental awareness; managing, coordinating and monitoring the department’s work; and supporting administratively the association.|
|1990-1995||Moscow, Russia||Central Station of Young Naturalists (Federal Managing Institution of the Russian Ministry of Education)||Deputy Director||I managed and coordinated Out-of-School System of Ecology and Biology (Additional) Education. My responsibilities were: 1) arranging All-Russian Contests on ecology and the environment. During 5 years I have arranged and managed 15 All-Russian Contests of Young Researchers (300-500 participants each) on different ecology and environmental subjects, and 3 All-Russian Contests of Young Ecologists (about 1000 participants each); 2) organising the All-Russian Field Camps for school students (during 5 years I arranged and leaded 12 All-Russian Camps with 60-300 participants each); 3) arranging and leading the All-Russian School of Distance Ecology Education for school-students (I elaborated the educational program, annual schedule of the school and managed it for 3 years)(there were 200-600 students in the school), 4) liaising with many kindergartens, schools and colleges on the above-mentioned issues in order to create, coordinate and harmonise continuous environmental education in Russia.|
|1983-1990||Moscow, Russia||Animal Evolutionary Morphology and Ecology Institute (USSR Academy of Sciences)||Scientist||I worked on the bird communities ecology (ecological niches) issues, arranging field expeditions all over European part of the USSR (and involving school students from Darwin Museum Club in these activities). I taught environmental and wildlife issues to children and teenagers.|
|1978-1990||Moscow, Russia||Moscow State Darwin’s Museum – School Biological Club||Teacher||I taught environmental education to children and teenagers; raised awareness on
the environment and ecology; planned and managed lessons and classes; organised and led
students’ field investigations and expeditions; organised all kind of events, from field
visits and investigations to theme days for students of all ages, parents and teachers;
researched, analysed and elaborated learning materials for the students; adapted learning
materials to the various age groups of the students; liaised with schools and parents
associations regarding environmental issues.